Please read the update from Kassidy’s (Marie’s) fosterer, Sharron.  She reported this morning that crater #2 had appeared in her lawn–ground squirrels beware!!!



Hi Bob,

I wanted to give you an update on Kassidy after our vet visit on Thursday.  Her poor ears are still massively infected.  The vet gave her a wash and antibiotic drops as she was not keeping any food down and didn’t feel that pills would stay down either.  We also got some ointment as her eye infection was back and her eye was not looking so good.  He could tell she was in pain and did some cursory tests to find that she has some arthritis in her knees for which we got a new pain med to try to see if it would help.  Nothing major nor un-fixable until we got the blood work back.  Everything was primo except her liver enzymes which are off the charts.  The vet said he can’t be sure without x-rays, but the cause is likely liver failure or that the cancer as metastasized to her liver.  He saved that for last and I was feeling good until then, when my heart completely sunk.  It didn’t seem fair that she could be so fine one day and so deathly ill the next.

We made it through Friday and by Saturday morning I thought I would be calling you to say it was time.  I curled up on her bed next to her with my head on hers and told her I wasn’t giving up on her yet, that she was my girl and we just weren’t done with each other yet.  Well, she barely made it outside, peed and came back and went to sleep.  I checked on her a few times throughout the day.  At about 3:00 she came out and walked to where her bowl usually sits.  I’d tried to feed her each time I fed Katie, but she hadn’t had any interest since Monday night.  I cut her up about 1/4 of a small chicken breast which she devoured and was looking for more.  I gave her half of a hard boiled egg which she again devoured.  I gave her the second half and told her no more.  About 30 minutes later when she had kept the first food down in days, I gave her about 1/2 cup of kibble – which she devoured and wanted more.  I didn’t want to push it so told her that was enough.  She went outside with Katie and a couple hours later I looked out and could only see her butt out of a crater she had dug in the lawn.  I went out to ask her what she was doing and she grabbed her squeaky toy and came running to me to play.  This dog went from what I was sure was her death bed to the same old Kassidy I had come to love in a matter of a few hours and never in my wildest dreams would I ever have thought I’d be happy at seeing my lawn destroyed.  I have no idea what happened and I know from the liver tests along with the cancer that brought her to the program to being with, that we are living on borrowed time.  But for now she is back and just as full of it as the day she came to live with me.  I got down in her face, told her how happy I was and how much I loved her and for the 4th time since I’ve had her, she kissed me.  The only answer I have is that it was a lot of answered prayers and the love between a dog and her human that brought her through.  I don’t know if I will have one day, one week, one month or one year, but whatever it is, each day from here on out is truly a present.

Please keep her in your prayers.